Wednesday, December 30, 2015

A resolution for a revolution

I started to write this last week and accidently closed it and lost all I had typed.  Long story short, it's been a couple years since I've bothered to write anything.  I started this as a reminder that things aren't easy and as a tie in of multiple interests with the focus being on losing weight and getting healither.  At the time of the last writing in 2013 I had lost almost 100 lbs ( I believe 96 officially but I can't recall)  when I stepped on the scale about a month and a half ago I found I had gained (if my memory of the 96 lbs lost is correct) 72 lbs back from what I lost. 

The year is coming to an end and the past month has been a sort of awakening; in that time I've
1) started cooking meals more often (using as limited of processed/canned food as I could)
2) started moving and workouts a few sporatic days a week. consisting of 4/5 set of push ups, crunches, and squats to total 100 reps.
3) realized I need to focus on my cardio, even simply walking more.

#1 really hit home about a month ago, when we had a boxed lasagna for dinner.  One of those boxes that you take the tray out of the box and poke holes in the plastic film and cook for 40 minutes remove the film and cook for another 10 and it's supposed to look like the cover of the box which it does if you squint long enough.  I found a simple lasagna recipe that took about 15 minutes longer than the boxed version but the only thing that was out of the box was the lasagna noodles.  Everything else was fresh ingredients. 

On the flip side as much as I love cooking and will put energy into that I've come to the conclusion that I'm lazy when it comes to anything involving a gym or working out.  To clarify I don't care to do the hard work that it takes to reach a goal when I have to motivate myself.  I can set my alarm to wake up at 5:30 and simply find the nice warm cozy bed an insurmountable obstacle to overcome.  I can't motivate myself to drive 10 minutes to the gym after everyone goes to bed at night.  I can however use the kids as bench presses as an alternate to the push up in the sets listed in #2 above which makes it something that I can commit to.  I can go to the gym with a friend and have an amazing workout, but convincing myself to do it alone for whatever the reason doesn't hold sway with me.

I've seen a number of motivational sayings and memes as the year winds down and I personally cannot think of a time since I was maybe 10 that I actually wrote down a resolution for the new year.  I can't guarantee that I'll stick to it, but I believe that If I make an effort at the things below that things will be easier, worse case I'm back here in 2 years with a reminder of things that I wanted to do.  I have a friend who stated something along the lines of instead of a resolution, lets do a revolution.

So without further Ado

2016 Year revolution!

1) Start utilizing the blog as a personal accountability "partner" and less as an attempt to entertain.  Update the blog 3 times a week

2) Go to the gym 4 times a week.  I'll figure out what I do in another post, I need to think on that.  But I want to get to the gym, just GET there....if I GET there and stay there for 10 minutes and I still don't feel like working out I'll go home.  I just need to GET there

3) Contine to explore and utilize easy, healither recipes for food choices

4) Be and become more connected to friends and, especially, family.  Enjoy them

That's it, 4 pretty simple things to write down but it seems I've had a lot of troule achieving the success on them in the years past.

No comments:

Post a Comment