Wednesday, January 6, 2016

A couple days ago a flip switched

I've always clicked on the yahoo health stories about people losing weight.  As and example I saw this particular one this morning.   I've always been a sucker for them, thinking good for them and I've noticed a common trend in a good number of those articles.  The writer notes a "Flip switching" or that "Ah-ha" moment.  I can honestly say I've never really had one of those moments, I'd given it up to some major medical emergency would do it. Thinking of it like that is slightly terrifying, especially re-reading that.  I know I'm a large dude, but I've also thought of myself as fairly athletic, even after not having played sports for a number of years now.

When I re-started this blog I said I wanted to get more cardio in.  On Monday back to work I was looking at my Fitbit stats and I was disappointed in myself.  When I got the Fitbit the default goal was 10,000 steps a day and because I was tired of not hitting the goal I changed it down to 7,500 a day to give myself a moral boost of hitting a goal.  During a weekend at festival I averaged about 50,000 steps over a two day weekend which in my mind averaged everything over the goal for the week, even though during the week I did maybe 5,000 steps a day.  I was sore and didn't leave my desk.

Once festival ended I made an effort to get up and walk a couple laps around the hallway of my work, the company measured out how many laps around the floor equals a mile a couple of years ago so I tried, to get up and move a few times throughout the day.  As you can see above I haven't reached the 7,500 goal for a while.  Monday, for lack of better terms, I felt a flip switch, I made a choice to reach my goal, not just the 7,500 steps goal but I wanted to hit the 10,000 goal.  Each hour (except lunch break) I got up and did 5 laps around the building. Monday I hit that goal of over 10k steps.

 On Tuesday, I was sore as I also did the 100 push ups, sit ups, and squats but I resolved to do it again.  It almost became something that I looked forward too, the view was bland and boring but it got me moving and I felt better about myself for moving so I did it again.

Last night I went to bed sore and tired, and I slept the best I had in a while.  The same Fitbit that tracks my steps also tracks my sleep and I was out like a rock last night sleeping.  This morning I woke up and came to work and I noticed something.  I have less overall pain.  My nails look healthier, as in it looks like I have a french manicure going on until I took a clippers to them.  As weird as it sounds I feel like I'm healthier, from hair to teeth to joints, I just feel better.  If this can happen after 2 days of a little more effort I'll take it.  My laps started off with a normal lap and then I kicked it up a notch so that by the end of the 5 laps I had a couple beads of sweat going on and actually looked forward to sitting down for a little bit.  Until I did it again, there were times when it hurt but I convinced myself to push through it.  I saw post on a friends Facebook page and I thought it was appropriate and will commence the blog with this as I have to get some laps in.

No comments:

Post a Comment