Friday, June 1, 2012

Gotta love the Eastern Bloc

So I have the Tour de Cure bike ride tomorrow morning and the Grand Old Days Parade this Sunday for the Renaissance Festival promotion.  If you’re planning on being at Grand Old Days for the parade and read this give me and all the Merry Men a Shout as we walk by with the rest of the performers.
So with that note it’s been a busy yet rather bland past couple of weeks since I really blogged.  I’ve been using Sean’s blog as my own for lack of better idea on anything to blog about and I haven’t really finished any of the projects that I have started (but some are close so that gives me material for the future)
The purpose of this blog is going to be pretty basic.  It’s going back to the workout.  The past two weeks I haven’t been hitting the gym and following my lifting schedule but rather have been doing what I dub the “Merry Men Ren X” Workout or “RenX” for short.  While the RenX workout is great it’s not as focused as I’d like.  What I mean by that is that we can only see results in lifting by making it easier overall and we can’t really add weights to the exercises at this point. 
So while I’ve broken the golden rule of changing your workouts every 4-6 weeks, I had the regular gym lifting for almost 2 months without any real changes.  I decided it’s time to change things up.  I’m going to give myself a pretty big goal, this one is Six weeks’ worth of workouts, so it will be done by the time fest starts.  With this weekend’s activities planned I’m not sure if I’m going to start next week or the following week yet at this point.  We’ll have to see how I feel come Monday after ride and parade.
Regardless the breakdown for week one is going to go as follows, each exercise will be three sets of 8 reps with little rest (1 minute) between each set.  Each week will be something close to this but have different changes enough to keep the body guessing on what’s going on
Monday (chest, Triceps & Biceps)              Tuesday (legs and Calves)
Bench press                                                  squats
Revers grip –BP                                           leg press
Incline dumbbell fly                                      leg extension
Cable crossover                                            Roman Dead Lift
Close-grib BP (negative reps)                      lying leg Curl
Close grip – BP                                            standing calf raises
Seated dumbbell overhead tricep ext.           seated calf raises
Barbell curls (negative reps)
Barbell curls
Incline dumbbell curls
Preacher curls

Wednesday (Rest)
 
Thursday (Back and abs)                              Friday (Shoulders & Traps)
Bent-over barbell row                                  Barbell shoulder press
Wide grip pull down                                    Dumbbell upright row
Reverse grip pull down                                Dumbbell lateral raise
Straight arm pull down                                 Dumbbell bent over lateral raise
Seated cable row                                          Barbell shrug
Hanging leg raise
Standing cable crunch

Saturday (rest)
Sunday (rest)

 The point of the first week is to totally shred every single muscle fiber in the arms.  This goes along with one of my favorite styles of lifting which is supercompensation training which was used by the Easter Bloc athletes.  If you’re not familiar with what I’m talking about go look at the shot putters and weight lifters from the 70’s, 80’s and on from Russia.  The six week program is a progression that will ramp up the training frequency until week 6 when you back off the frequency.  I’ll explain the breakdown in the six weeks next post.

1 comment: