Thursday, May 3, 2012

Just do a freaking pushup already

This week has been a very “blurg” start to it.  Sunday I started out eating okay for breakfast and lunch and then skipped the rest of the meals electing instead to have a cinnamon roll that was leftover from Saturday for my second lunch and dinner.  I didn’t get the egg bake done on Sunday so I didn’t have a breakfast for Monday but I stopped at a restaurant by my work and got eggs and a piece of steak and for dinner that night I had an veggie omelet without cheese from Keys café and had a piece of toast. 
Come yesterday I couldn’t get myself motivated to do anything and it was the combination of the past two days and feeling like crap for not sticking with diet or allowing myself to cheat when there was really no need.  I made it through yesterday without any cheat sources and felt better today and thus far today I have been feeling much better.
For those two days I had a feeling of dread, that the diet was ending and that it was just a fad and all the newfound changes were……
<Anderson Pity party for one….your table is ready….Anderson party of one your table is ready>
Yeah, I threw a pity party for myself.  I made it through but it was the first real time I’ve encountered anything of resistance since I started back in January.    I’ve never been a fan of fears and I generally tend to avoid things that I know cause me fear.    For the past month plus now I’ve been doing assisted push-up (against a wall or countertop) before each meal along with air squats.  Gets the heart rate going and a nice boost of energy and gets the body needing food and being that the food I’m feeding it is healthy then it’s a good go round for all parties.
That little backstory brings me to my point.  I’m afraid of doing pushups.  Even when doing the p90x I did knee pushups.  The last time I can remember doing a successful push up was in football in High School.  I look back and I can’t tell anyone why I’m afraid of the proper pushup…but I am, kneeling, against a wall, whatever modified form you can think of I’ll do it.  But the traditional good old fashioned pushup frightens me.
Now why bring up the pushup you ask? 
Because……One of the goals I set for myself is to bench press 225.  Now….a regular pushup is somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 – 70% of your body weight.  As it stands right now, if I can do a push up I “should” be able to bench press 225.  I haven’t tried the max bench press because each time I go to the gym it’s for a circuit exercise not to see how much I can lift; nor have I tried to do a push-up because, well I think I’ve hit that subject the last paragraph or so.
Last night I was home alone with my daughter and I thought I should give it a whirl, what’s going to happen?  I can’t complete one and she sees me on the floor and wants to play, I can and she sees me on the floor and wants to play?  I let the opportunity pass by and she fell asleep and I worked on leather stuff to support writing an upcoming blog with pictures.
Today I have thus far been struck down by the pushup Gods….It really started last night with my industrial sewing machine starting to act up on me while I was sewing a pouch and cowl together but I managed to make it through and cleaned out the sewing machine and readjusted everything to help it run properly.  This morning I managing to get a shower in this morning because I’ve been meaning to take a bath and relax at night but have neglected that for other projects.  (It’s rare I shower in the morning, I’m more of a before I go to bed kind of guy.) Driving in to work separately because I have to work tonight I got to my car pick up site and was getting my bag out of the car and smartly put my coffee on top of the car with my keys.  I grabbed my keys and the coffee cup got caught in the antenna and spilt over the side of the car onto yours truly.  So now I’m sporting the newest rage cologne “Eu du Espresso roast” I grab my bag throw it into the other vehicle that just arrived and grab my jeans and determine to figure something out.  I walk into work and we have a badge access system.  I go first and swipe my badge and hold the door for the person behind me as they scan their badge I start to go through the door and my badge leaps out of my hand back into the entrance hallway…luckily I have an old throwback football jersey here and am wearing that along with jeans, unfortunately I remember why I don’t care for this throwback jersey, it tries to strangle me, the neck hole is made for someone with a smaller neck, so it has been turned into a V-neck to avoid feeling like I’m suffocating myself for fun today….…..it’s going to be one of those days.
I need to just do a friggin pushup and get this over with
PS…if you never hear from me again it’s because I didn’t do a pushup….let it serve as a reminder to do your pushups!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment