Tuesday, March 20, 2012

feeling the burn

Walk walk walk
Last night was my first night working one on one with my new client.  (As a second job I work with special needs/ developmentally disabled adults)  Last night found us walking, a lot.  We started out at Como Zoo to find that closed, so we headed to the local mall and walked both levels of the mall and the wings. (Which turns out upon research is .75 miles each floor)  After a quick dinner my client wanted to return to Como Lake and walk around the lake…not once…but twice which as the sign points out was 1.6 mile loop so when the dust settled last night it chalked up to 4.75 miles.  Now this wasn’t just any walking, that wouldn’t be anything to blog about…my client just happened to be a power walker, so I added some high steps to my walk and got a great fat burning workout last night to match the lifting session yesterday. Of the lifting session I managed to cut it down a half hour to fit my lunch and did a non-stop circuit session.   I’m ready to start chucking some Robin Hoods let me tell you...as soon as the burning and general soreness from the past 24 hours of activity wears off a little bit.
SPRING HAS SPRUNG
With the first day of Spring here I am officially kicking off my search for an outdoor gym.  None of the fancy pants machines mind you but the good old fashioned tractor tires, sledge hammer, cement blocks, heavy rope, and homemade sandbag style of gym.  Sean and I had talked about this over the winter and it’s gotten my gears going on getting it completed on the cheap/free…..I just need to find some tractor tires and everything else sans the rope is pretty much set for a backyard outdoor country gym.  So if you have or know of anyone that has any tractor tires on the cheap/free please feel free to drop me a message or comment. 
Work incentives
A last note that is that my main work is also kicking off a fitness program.  There is a points system for each amount of time spent on an activity, 1 point for light walking, shopping, cleaning for every ½ hour, 2 points for swimming, cycling, jogging for every 20 mins, and 3 points for every lifting session (weights, p90x etc.) for every 15 mins.  My teammate is a former coworker that transferred down to another location within the company and each week we record our activity and are eligible for prizes for the most point and a random drawing for prizes for entering data.  The prizes are gift cards to various fitness related places.  This along with new client a couple days a week and my own improvised fitness plan from yesterday makes me hope there isn’t a burnout coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment