Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The orgin of the John-onball

Growing up I remember sitting in front of the TV (like five feet from the front of it) with my bowl of cereal and watching wrestling every Saturday morning.  I would watch the interviews of these elaborate characters and then go stand in front of the mirror and give my best go at their impressions.  The fakery (it's a word, I don't care spellcheck!!) and staging of the “sport” came later in life and I was oblivious and blissfully ignorant of the fact.

As I grew older I continued to follow wrestling in some scope.  If you’ve ever seen our Show out at the Renaissance festival you’ll recall seeing an unarmed fight that a good portion of those moves were borrowed from those countless years of viewership.  That borrowing was enhanced by the fact that when I moved to California I took up a 6 week workshop that taught you the falls and some of the moves.  Trust me, while it may be labeled as fake, the bumps and bruises that accumulate are very real. 

As a kid I grew up idolizing Hulk Hogan….the matches he fought in were always captivating to me, mainly because of the showmanship and connection he had with his audience.  Seeing the breaking news of a leaked sex tape from Hogan shocked me to my core a bit, because that’s not the connection with his audience I had always pictured.  If this makes it to the list of leaked tapes for distribution or not time will tell, but I will always hold a special place in my memory of hearing how to be like hulk…”Train, say your prayers, take your vitamins and believe in yourself.”

When we first started working the unarmed fight for the show I took heavily from that past experience and we put in my top five favorite wrestling moves that I had seen time and time again growing up.  Yes, for those of you wondering….....the John-onball is a tribute to the late Randy “Macho Man” Savage  

This is all back story for the upcoming weekend where we are starting to get geared up and into rehearsal for a few new changes coming up to the Robin Hood Show for this upcoming season. 

Eventually the fights are going to start coming together and we’ll determine what will be kept and what will be added and removed this year.  Until then, train, say your prayers and take your vitamins.

No comments:

Post a Comment