Monday, March 12, 2012

Heading into week #8 and a update/recap of the progress

Last night was the start of week 2 of the exercise regime. I was sleepy and had no ambition to do anything at 7pm last night and then “Once upon a time” came on TV and I had less ambition….seriously I’m finding myself enjoying that show.
I forced myself away from watching the episode about ½ way through and started the cooking breakfast and lunches for the week (read egg bake and Chili).  This consumed a chunk of my night up until about 9:30.  This is when I decided the heck with tired…I’m going to the gym.  The act of getting shoes on and changed into workout clothes along with a glass of water helped do the trick and by the time I got to the gym I was ready to get going.
Men are dumb
So I’m at the gym last night and I just get there and do my warm-up and I go to the bench press to start my chess workout….lo and behold the one other person is on it.  He’s got it up to 225 (4x45’s plus bbell.) and I can kind of see he’s not exactly confident in himself with this weight.  It’s the same type of set up that I have at my work where it’s got its own safety latch (turn the bar to lock it into place)…but it’s him and his girlfriend (didn’t know it at the time) and me there at 10pm on Sunday night….
 So I ask him… “you need anyone to spot you on this or anything?” he replies  “NO NO NO I got this…I do this weight all the time……” to which I reply “…okay, you sure?” and he reassures me “ YEAH YEAH I’m fine…”
 Allright….so I went and grabbed dumbbells because it didn’t look like he was going to be done anytime soon (there is only one bench press station at the gym) and I can do the workout either way…..so I get started on my reps and about ½ way through I hear… ”Pop!!.... AAAArrrrrgghhh!!” 
I drop the weights and look over at the guy, 10 feet-ish away, and he’s got the bar on his chest while holding his chess squirming…. I Lift up the bar enough to lock it so it’s not on him and he’s still clutching his right armpit/chest area. 
90% sure he blew out his pectoral muscle…cause it wasn’t a dislocation, he could move the arm….but couldn’t push anything and it was starting to swell and bruise up only on the front and side of that pec….so his girly took him to the hospital I think..….and I took over his bench-press machine. 
The take away….spotters are good for you, telling Sean the story this morning he summarized it beautifully with a reply of “If I am ever iffy on a lift I always ask for a spot from whoever I can.  If there is no one to spot, then I lower the weight.  It's called lifting smart.”
Measurements and other numbers
Saturday was the weekly measurements and I also had to work.  The measurements for the week were kind of a bummer but they were as follows:
Navel: remained the same
Hips: down 1 inch
Biceps: remained the same
Thighs: remained the same

I said before the measurements were kind of a bummer but I honestly think that the stomach has gotten smaller at least from the pelvis to the chest measurement wise…I never bothered to measure this so I can’t honestly say if that’s true or not.  This would mean that my stomach is getting “rounder” and less spherical.  Going from a football shape to a volleyball shape.  If that is the case is still to be seen, for all I know I could be saying that as a motivational tool to keep to this.  The other number is I stepped on the scale for the first real time since I was off with my daughter and have dropped 28.7 pounds heading into week #8 so that gives me something to look forward too.
Tonight is cardio and I know the dog is looking forward to getting out there, so that’s my motivation tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment