Thursday, April 5, 2012

An update and a goal broken or is this the week to plateau?

It’s been a few posts and I haven’t updated anything on where I’m currently at in regards to my weight goals.  I’ve been making it a weekly habit (but not making it an important issue) of stepping on the scale every Friday when I leave for work.  There are two reasons I’ve been doing this 1) mainly to see if what I’m doing is having any effect on beyond how I feel and 2) I leave at the same time every Friday and the scale is on the way out to the elevators.  I realize it’s Thursday and tomorrow will be another weigh in but as of last Friday I’ve dropped 44.8 lbs. since I started the rehealthabitation (it’s a word, I made it up!) 11 weeks ago. 
I made a goal this week to hit the 50 lbs. mark by tomorrow.  While I did that I made myself aware of a few things.
It’s going to take more work (almost 7 lbs. vs. the average 4 losing a week)
Don’t be led by the allure of the scale (I’ve said this from the beginning)
Eventually there will be a plateau as your body adjusts
I’ve been fascinated/inspired/amazed with articles lately on the “average Joe” weight loss and it seems that almost each one I’ve read has talked about hitting a plateau and powering through it.  As you change your eating habits and add exercise but after a while the usual progress isn’t there anymore and it seems that nothing can be done towards getting closer to your goal.  I admit in the past when we’ve had a workout or health challenge at work that I participated in, I would get frustrated with not seeing anything change on the scale when I’m busting my hump in the gym every day.
Looking back I realized that the exercise is only part of the equation, while I thought I was eating okay, it was just that….OKAY. A rushed morning, which happened rather frequently with two children less than 2 years old to get ready, meant stopping at McDonalds for breakfast.  The sausage mcmuffin, hash brown and iced vanilla coffee was convenient and easy and quite frankly yummy.  Substituting that for the egg bake that I create every Sunday I found is much more efficient and my body starts the day with much less of the unknown and more of me knowing what it is that is going into my body. I still cringe every time I see pink slime. 
Going back to the plateau; I know it’s going to happen eventually.   If it’s an omen that it just so happens on the week I set a small goal for myself to hit the 50 loss mark then so be it.  It’s not going to lead me to give up and embrace McDonalds again (even if Saturday is cheat day).  So that being said I’ve increased my daily activity level every day this week, Monday my client and I walked around Como Zoo, Lake Como and Rosedale Mall (7 laps) Tuesday I dusted off the bike and the child carrier and took the boy for a bike ride. 

How can you say no to that face???

Wednesday night was another bike ride after taking the boy to the playground and playing with him there for 20 minutes.  I got tired of not knowing how much ground I was making so I downloaded an app for my phone that tells me how much distance is covered and time etc. on Tuesday night after the bike ride and Wednesdays ride ended up being 6.7 miles.  Today is work again tonight and I can’t help but expect my client to want to walk around the lake and a mall before settling on dinner and more walking after dinner but we’ll find out.  On top of the nightly exercise I’ve also been at the gym every day this week (sans Monday as I didn’t work) with my lifting program.  I added the back workout into the mix this week to hit the gym each day and not re-do a previous workout.  Tomorrow afternoon will be time to find out what, if any, results I have to show for my efforts.  Regardless of the outcome; I’m feeling better than I have in a while, and it helped reinforce everything of where I’m going by picking up the 50lbs dumbbell at the gym today for a lift.


3 comments:

  1. That is awesome, keep up your motivation and ambition. My family is also trying to get healthier, what was the word you used...rehealthabilitation totally great word btw... Steve is doing the no fast carbs thing and trying to eat healthier, so am I, well minus the carb thing, I like bread too much. But as long as it is in moderation. Are you following a particular diet at all? Also mind sharing the app you are using for distance time? Thanks and great job again, inspiration and motivation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm doing the slow carb foodplan from the book "4 Hour Body." Essentially it's meat, veggies and beans 6 out of 7 four hours apart with water and some coffee. (you're allowed one diet coke a day and a glass of wine if need be, I don't)and the 7th day is a cheat day, you can do eat whatever you want. It's referred to as " eating yourself into a food coma" in the book.

      the app is called...Cardio Trainer. I have tmobile, it's a free version and uses GPS to track everything (battery drain though) it's the free version and it suits what I need perfectly (I just care about the mileage) There is another of the same name that can be purchased as an upgrade but, as I said, the free one does exactly what I want it to do.

      Hope that helps and keep up your own rehealthabilitation!! :O)

      Delete
  2. Your awesome Ted! We have a long walk to do next week remember!

    ReplyDelete