Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Recap and catch up in 4 paragraphs or less

As I said during the last post, the “4-Hour Body” appealed to me because it was simple, easy and repetitive.  Before I go into anything let me say I’m only following the book and am not any type of a professional when it comes to nutrition.  As shocking as that last statement might be to some of you; you can only imagine the shock I had to learn that McDonalds, Taco Bell, Arby’s and Dairy Queen do not equal a balanced diet (darn near dropped a fiber baby on that one!).  Okay that’s a stretch but I generally watch the “Biggest Loser “on Tuesday nights and while I’m a big person, I always find myself mortified at the amount of fast food that is being consumed by the contestants prior to their time on the program.  That’s not to say that I haven’t stopped at McDonalds for breakfast or a quick dinner while running somewhere but it was never to that extent. 
My issue does stem from food, but it was the food I was eating that did nothing, very carb heavy and sugary.  Be it that creamer in the coffee, to a HUGE plate of spaghetti and eating to clean the plate because that’s what I was taught.  Now, I can still eat the huge plates but it’s foods that are better.  As I was reading the four hour body the first meal/eating schedule for the whole day in approximate order: eggs, broccoli, spinach, chicken, black beans….  Now I saw those first five foods and thought “score! I like all of those things” I went to Cub and bought everything on that list and made it through the first 5 days.  Oh the other bonus selling point  was that one day of week is a designated “cheat day” you are allowed to eat whatever you want or have been depriving yourself of all week.  My first cheat day was rather lame by my standards, the whole household had suffered through a cold or was suffering and I think I had McDonald’s breakfast sandwich and a burger, fries and blizzard from dairy queen, but otherwise lunch was a great chili creation a friend had brought over. 
While I started everything on Jan. 16th, I consider the first day of the week Sunday diet wise. For the start of the 2nd week  on Sunday there is generally food left over that I can use make a few meal for Sunday morning and lunch until I have the chance to get to the store.  That Sunday I had to stop at Wal-Mart for some costume supplies and other misc. things.  Our Wal-Mart just upgraded to include a grocery section. Now imagine my surprise when I found everything at Wal-Mart I needed for my meals at a fraction of the cost.  Generic Wal-Mart black beans were about thirty cents cheaper than generic cub ones.  While I mumbled something about greedy mumble mumblers under my breath and stocked my cart with the food I needed and made it through week two. 
Well that brings you and me up to speed on where I am now.  ½ way through my 3rd week.  Now I spent the first two weeks getting up and making breakfast for everyone and eating it, washing it down with a big glass of water and black coffee for the drive to work.  This week I decided to try making everything on Sunday night so all I had to do was reheat everything when the time came to eat.  Tomorrow you’ll learn what those meal plans are and a little more of the specifics of the slow card diet.  Along with tonight’s physical activity adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment