Monday, February 27, 2012

Finishing a basement or how to try and lose a finger

The weekend came and went with the goal of getting framework setup in my basement to get one step closer to finishing it and having more space in the house.  The materials were bought by yours truly and I used it as my excericse to load the lumber from store to cart, from cart to vehichle from vehichle to downstairs and rearranged into a nice pile to prevent as much warping as possible.

The Lumber I was whinning about
 I had previously had some great help in changing around the ventilation. (that you can see a part of in the top middle coming from the rafters)  Before that was changed around it looked like Dr. Octopus arms had had been used for our vents all over the basement.  I suppose basements weren't planned to be anything other than storage back in the 50's when this house was built they just slapped it together and it was done.

I managed to get a good crew together to help put this thing together on Saturday morning.  Coby, Tim and Sean and Ian showed up to put in some sweat work and get the project going.  with the end result looking like this!

framing done!





The basement has been framed with the exception of one section for the door.  I will be working on that tonight/ tomorrow to get that completed on my own (crosses fingers).
This is just one step of many, there still needs to be wiring for outlets with lights being redone, drywall, ceiling, floor and stairs to be completed but this is one of the more intimidating portions of the project out of the way and the remainder I can chip away with time once the wiring gets completed.

The only injury was Coby using the nailer and attempting to put a nail through my finger by way of not shooting a nail straight into the 2x4 stud....granted I should have known that his aim wasn't the greatest from his previous attempts but I did think my hands were far enough away from any damage to be done to them.  a bit of blood and a nicely bruised finger later I'll Live and learn.

Otherwise this week is #2 at home with the girly and I decided to make my lunches last night and my breakfasts for the week this morning to make things a bit easier and help me stick to the plan.  With all the activities on Saturday I neglected to take measurements and elected to just wait until this Saturday to see what progress has been made.

No comments:

Post a Comment